Library of Things Collection
The Wichita Public Library's "Library of Things" is a non-traditional library collection offering a variety of equipment you can borrow for at-home use. An adult (18+) Wichita Public Library card in good standing is required to borrow these materials. You may have 2 Library of Things items checked out at one time.
Your Wichita Public Library wants to create college and career ready students. If you're exploring a career in the medical field, or simply want to learn more about the human body, you can now borrow anatomical models to study. Models include:
- Classic Eye Model: Three times life size, dissectible into six parts: both halves of choroid with iris and retina; both halves of sclera with cornea and eye muscle attachments; lens; and vitreous humor.
- Ear Model: One-piece, full-size model shows outer ear, ear canal, and inner ear mechanisms including ossicles, cochlea, nerve, and Eustachian tube.
- Eight-Part Human Brain Model: Full-size human brain molded from PVS plastic and hand-painted to show lobes. Mounted in a rotatable metal harness on a plastic stand, the brain can be removed and dissected into eight anatomically correct parts. Includes over 50 labeled structures of the brain and a fold-out laminated color guide indicating brain structures. One side of the guide includes names, while the other side shows only numbers for student assessment.
- Heart Model: Two-piece model opens in half to show inner chambers and valves of the heart as well as aortic arch, superior and inferior vena cava, pulmonary and cardiac veins.
- Kidney Model: Two times life size, longitudinal section of right kidney and adrenal gland. Model highlights renal artery and vein and minor calyx, interlobular artery and vein, and ureter.
(Descriptions from Nasco Education website.)
You can borrow an Anatomical Model for 14 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
The Library is for explorers! Now you can check out a Vortex Crossfire 8x42 binoculars kit from your Wichita Public Library. Each binoculars kit contains a pair of binoculars with neck strap, padded protective case, instructional manual, and three pamphlets:
- The Night Sky Seasonal Pocket Guide
- Kansas Birds: A Folding Pocket Guide to Familiar Species
- Moon: A Folding Pocket Guide to the Moon, its Surface Features, Phases, and Eclipses
You can borrow a binoculars kit for 14 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
Chromebooks and Laptops (in-Library use only)
Chromebooks and laptops are available to borrow from a kiosk at the Advanced Learning Library and can be used anywhere inside the Advanced Learning Library, including the terrace on the second floor. This is ideal for flexible work within the Library. These devices may not be removed from the building.
You can borrow a Chromebook or laptop for 3 hours. You may use one Chromebook or laptop at a time.
Learn more about Chromebooks & laptops
The Finch Robot 2.0 is a programmable robot that brings computer science to life by providing students from kindergarten to college a hands-on representation of their code. These robots work with many different programming languages and come with extensive features. Finch Robot 2.0 requires use of Crayola Paint Brush Pens or markers of a similar size to work. Pens are not included.
You can borrow a Finch Robot for 14 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
Access to the internet at home has never been easier. With a Library-provided mobile hotspot, you can do all sorts of activities that require an internet connection: checking email, paying bills online, applying for jobs, conducting research, and more. Hotspot checkout is possible thanks to a gift in memory of Forrest C. & Frances H. Lattner through the Wichita Public Library Foundation.
You can borrow a hotspot for 14 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
Request a mobile hotspot
Have you used one of the Library's hotspots? Please fill out our mobile hotspot survey.
An internet bundle is a Chromebook with a mobile hotspot. Internet bundles are funded by the federal Emergency Connectivity Fund (ECF) Program. The equipment and services funded by the ECF can only be provided to patrons who do not have access to equipment or services sufficient to access the internet.
You can borrow an internet bundle for 28 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
Learn more about internet bundles
Investigate objects too small for the eye to see with the Amscope microscope kit. Power the microscope with either the included power adapter or three AA batteries (not included). Each microscope kit has:
- An Amscope 40X-1000X portable dual light glass lens metal frame student monocular microscope with power adapter and vinyl carrying bag
- A 10X and a 25X eyepiece
- 12 piece slide kit in a wood box
- A book, The World of the Microscope by Chris Oxlade
You can borrow a microscope kit for 14 days. There are no renewals for this item.
Request a microscope kit
How to use the microscope
Sponsored by Pure State Services LLC, these radon detectors let customers test radon levels in their homes or businesses. Radon is a colorless, odorless and radioactive gas that can accumulate indoors over time. The gas is a decay of Uranium/Radium that is released into the air, and is the second leading cause of lung cancer. According to the EPA, Sedgwick County is considered to be a medium risk zone for radon.
You can borrow a radon detector for 14 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
Setting up the radon detector
Configuración del detector de radón
Look to the stars with the Orion StarBlast Astronomical Telescope available to borrow from your Wichita Public Library. This telescope has been reviewed by a number of astronomical publications and is found to be a great resource for stargazing and learning about the solar system. Each telescope is mounted on a wooden base and has a large optical tube, meaning objects will appear in great detail. Telescope checkout is possible thanks to the generosity of the Georgia Eakins family.
You can borrow a telescope for 14 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
Request a telescope
Telescope Resource Manual
Collections for Kids
In addition to the Library of Things collection, the Wichita Public Library has non-traditional collections designed for children that can be checked out on a child or adult library card in good standing. This includes our Playaway Launchpads and the Kits collection, which is divided into Early Learning Backpacks for the youngest children and STEAM to GO! kits for grades 4+. You may have up to 2 Launchpads and up to 2 kits checked out at one time.
Pre-loaded with content for kids and designed with a simple, easy-to-use interface, Launchpad tablets are made to be passed from one set of hands to the next. Each Playaway Launchpad has a recommended age range, with most designed for children between ages 3 and 7.
You can borrow a Playaway Launchpad for 14 days. There are 2 renewals* for this item.
Learn more about Playaway Launchpads
Early Learning Backpack Kits
Help create young readers with our new backpack kits. Each kit is themed and typically includes several picture books, two to four educational games or toys, and an activity guide.
You can borrow an Early Learning Backpack kit for 14 days. There are no renewals for this item.
Learn more about Early Learning Backpack Kits
STEAM to GO! Kits
Bring these creative and educational STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematics) kits to your home! Each STEAM kit comes with different themed activities and books that take learning to a whole new level. These STEAM kits are intended for grade 4+ but can be adjusted according to different age levels.
You can borrow a STEAM to GO! Kit for 14 days. There are no renewals for this item.
Learn more about STEAM to GO! Kits
* Items are not renewable when someone is on the waiting list.